Please visit Morris Kight

Please visit Morris Kight @ http://morriskight.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Vanity

       Age II



We have no patience with other people's vanity because it is offensive to our own.

- Francois de la Rochefoucauld (1613 – 1680)


           This is not all about me.  I offer myself up as a prime example but I'm not an expert on the subject.  Let’s be honest—I’m not the only one doing it.  We all age. 
            This isn’t so much about beauty either, this is about vanity.  Pure and simple, we’re all vain.  As social creatures it is a natural instinct.  And like any other natural instinct it can be abused (to either extreme) and it can be out-of-whack. 
But some of my best decisions have been made under the close scrutiny of my vanity.  Truth be told, I didn’t want to be a middle-aged bitter drunk with smoker’s breath.  Okay, so accuse me of vainglory if you will—but overall I’m better off for the decision to stop drinking and quit smoking cigarettes (I loved cigarettes).  As it turned out, I’m middle-aged, mildly bitter and have fresh breath.
Jane Fonda is my icon.  Who doesn’t love Jane Fonda at any age?  Yes, yes, we don’t all have the Fonda resources to battle the lines and gravity as well as she does and she admits to doing it and why she did it, “I wanted to look more like how I feel.”  She doesn't do it to lie about her age or to deceive anyone into believing that she is younger than she is.  It makes her feel good about herself.  Vanity is a very real part of life boys and girls.  Jane took care of herself going way back, before Ted talked her into the boob job (which I don’t think she regrets) and she considered very carefully before going forward with any procedure.  I noticed that she hasn’t “done” too much to her eyes (also known as the ‘windows to the soul’).  She worked the fitness game, she earned a living at it, made her mistakes and at times she teetered on woo-woo but never went too far.  She’s an experiential woman who will not rest on yesterday’s looks.
Jane, in my mind’s eye, has always looked great.  At 74 years old she says that she is the happiest that she has ever been.  Now that gives me reason to get out of bed and touch my toes in the morning.

1969




















































1990


2012


No comments: